Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Travel Tip 3-Souvenirs: buy them at home

Have you ever walked through Disneyworld or even a museum or zoo and seen people spending hundreds of dollars of souvenirs? Those same souvenirs, the ones that we wouldn't buy for our kids at home because they are cheaply made and will fall apart, are the ones that we pay three and four times more for on vacation. Why? Because we want our kids to have a great memory of our travels. Most of those souvenirs will be broken, lost or not important by the time we have made it back through security at the airport. I know, I have a $20 broken monorail toy sitting at my feet right now.
And I think there is a better way. Each time we go on a trip, I hit my local dollar store and discount stores before we go. Disneyworld-I collect Mickey and Princess stuff for weeks before we go. Zoos-animal stickers, those big animal cups that cost 15+ at the zoo are practically free at garage sales. I try to do this for every place that we go. My kids think they are getting something special and I have plenty to use as bribes (this post will come soon) when I need them. It is a win-win situation.
Yes, kids do need souvenirs, but a stuffed buffalo or painted rocks are not what I want to spend my money on. I do set a limit for each child and that is there money to buy a worthwhile souvenir. My kids are still to young, but I would love for them to develop some type of collection that they could add to during their travels. There are some souvenirs that you must have, and go ahead buy them-you are on vacation.
But save some meltdowns, time and money by planning ahead. So before you go, think about what your kids like, where you are going and what you are going to do and I bet that you can find some great souvenirs very cheap in your hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment