Sunday, July 20, 2014

Travel Tip #22 - Make it through airport security with children and live to tell about it

My husband and I have traveled quite a bit over the past 11 years.  Our youngest, an 18 month old has been to 28 states!  We are always up for adventure and love to travel...by boat, car, train or even plane.  And most of the time, our trips begin in an airport (we usually rent a car and drive over a 1000 miles when we land but that is another post).  But beginning our trips at the airport means that we have to face the scariest and most stressful part of traveling with children.  Can you guess what it is?  Airport Security!  It doesn't sound that frightening when it is just my husband and I traveling.  But when you throw in four kids age 5 and under or any kids for that matter it can be a scary, scary thing.

So how do we make it easier?  Here are a few hints that might make your airport security adventure a little less stressful:

  • Be Prepared: I know the TSA rules by heart and I know what I can and can not bring on a plane.  My liquids are packed in the zip lock bag ready to be pulled out.  Our laptops are already out of our backpacks.  My oldest son's inhaler and meds are in a separate ziplock bag.  Any liquids I am carrying on for my lap child are in another bag (yes, if you have a lap child, you can bring liquids on board-they will be inspected by hand).  Anything that I think will cause the TSA agents to search my bag, goes on the very top of my suitcase for easy access.  I even have a list of what I am taking through security: back pack, lap top, liquids, belt, phone, 12 shoes, etc.-this way, I make sure that I don't leave anything on the belt.  And this should go without saying but always, always have enough time for security.
  • Accept Help: There are still nice people in this world and sometimes they even offer to help.  I usually smile and decline but in the airport security line, if someone offers any help at all-I take it.  Occasionally, you will encounter a TSA agent who will help put suitcases up on the conveyor belt, push them through or my absolute most favorite help of all: setting my strollers up for me after they have gone through the x-ray.  I have even seen an agent, help a lady retie her baby sling.  Sometimes you get help, sometimes not but don't panic.  You can do it either way.
  • Practice, Practice:  We do this quite often at our house.  Not only do we play airplane and practice what to do on the plane but we play airport security to practice what to do then.  We take off our shoes, put our backpacks and lovey toys on the kitchen cabinets and slide them across.  Then we walk through a door way one at a time and stop on the other side (so no one wanders to far off).  Then we grab our things off of the counters and take them to a seat to put on our shoes.  Silly, I know but my 4 and 5 year old could probably get through security faster than some business travelers.  And since we practice no one gets upset about taking off their shoes and everyone knows that their beloved backpacks filled with toys will be handed right back to us.  Another thing that might be good to practice is standing in a line.  Sometimes the security lines are long so practice wouldn't hurt here either.  We have even played "I Spy" while standing in line or passed out candy-anything to pass the time, keep everyone entertained, prevent meltdowns and keep them from rolling around on the floor!
  • Be Patient:  This is the tip that my husband I need to work on.  If it was just us in the security line, it would be a breeze.  But when the lines are long and people are inching closer and closer to us, we start to rush.  And inevitably when we do this, we get sloppy and start dropping stuff (like on our last trip when my husband dropped my laptop and it bounced 4 feet away) or we start rushing and we forget someone (no, that has never happened-wink, wink).  Unfortunately, when we start hurrying, we tend to get a little short and snappy with the kids during security because we are feeling that we need to hurry up and move along.  Just be patient-your family paid for a plane ticket like everyone else, you have a plane to catch like everyone else, take care of your family and the people behind you need to be patient too-there is no reason to hurry.
  • Just Smile:  I mentioned that some people can be helpful but some people can be down right rude.  When this happens, you have two options-get upset or just smile.  On our last trip, a lady nearly knocked my two boys down trying to cut in front of them in line.  A simple "excuse me" would have been adequate but not everyone was raised correctly so we have to carry on.  You will probably drop something, spill something or have to be searched and your kids will probably trip and fall, have a mini meltdown or even refuse to go through the x-ray.  Just smile and walk on-it can make your trip much more pleasant.  This too shall pass.  

This is our strategy of how we make it through security:  We have practiced and are ready to go.  As we approach security, our laptops and liquids are pulled out.  My husband is in front and I'm in the back with the kids in between us.  I immediately start reminding everyone to listen to us, stay in line and give my youngest a reminder that we are going to take off our shoes and put our stuff on the belt-just like at home.  As we near the bins, the kids start taking off shoes while my husband gets a bin for shoes.  The kids then take off back packs and putting them on the conveyor belt while pushing them forward.  Once everything is on the belt, I take the baby out of the stroller, leaving my husband to fold the strollers and make sure everything gets through the xray machine.  The kids line up and walk one by one through the metal detector and then grab their backpacks off of the belt.  If a blessed TSA agent has set up my stroller, I can plop the baby in it and start hanging bags off of the back (if I have to maneuver the double stroller off of the belt and open it while holding a baby, it is just not pretty). Once the kids hands are full, I pick a spot and tell them to go there-like a bench I can see or stand up against a wall.  Then I take what I can (including the shoes) and meet the kids.  They start putting on their shoes and we wait on my husband who is bringing up the rear.  Now if some of our luggage, liquids or medicine have to be inspected, then we do switch spots.  My husband has a huge fear of the TSA agent opening up the suitcase and seeing my Victoria Secret undies and not his whitey tighties.  Once he returns, we finish with shoes, repack our laptops and liquids and take a deep breath because we have made it and our vacations has begun!

Okay, airport security is scary but it takes about 10 minutes of your trip.  Once you pass through security, you have faced the hardest part of the trip and have nothing left to do but enjoy your travels.  Remember my tips: be prepared, accept help, practice, be patient and just smile.  Just relax and you can do it. When things get too stressful, look up because in just a few feet you will have made it through the pearly gates and into the airport terminal.  Trust me, traveling with your children is so worth a few stressful minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment